You may have heard that there is a full moon + lunar eclipse happening tonight... since it's being talked about EVERYWHERE. This "Super Blood Wolf Moon" might feel significant to you, whether it means your animals are acting especially wacky or your passions are running high, or something else all together.
On top of the regular full moon weirdness, "Lunar eclipses are often associated with change, mystery, and upheaval, Tempest Zakroff says. 'As this one coincides with the first full moon of the regular calendar year, it's a good time to contemplate what things — ideas, habits, practices — you may wish to leave behind, and what you want to bring into your life and build upon for the year to come,' she says. Many of us made ambitious resolutions at the start of the new year, and this weekend is a good time to reevaluate what's serving us, and what's no longer useful. 'It's a magical reset button,' Mueller says." (Source)
When thinking about which essential oils would be most helpful today and tonight as emotions run high and the potential to release negativity from the past is high, it dawned on us that our Water synergy fits the bill perfectly. This is no small way thanks to the fact that it embodies the element of water, which is literally controlled by the moon; and to the fact that it encourages and supports us in going with the flow.
That said, you don't need the synergy blend to get the effects. Try these single notes which star in the synergy either alone, or in any combination you like. You might use these in Epsom salts for a full moon bath, in a diffuser as you reflect on your goals and what you would like to release from your life, or during meditation tonight. Or, use in lotion or dropped onto aromatherapy jewelry (or sniff straight from the bottle) and enjoy the scent as you watch the eclipse!
- Bergamot is a cheerful and happy oil that "aids in letting go of toxic emotions," according to Mixing Essential Oils for Magic by Sandra Kynes. Additionally, in The Essential Guide to Aromatherapy and Vibrational Healing, Margaret Ann Lembo writes that bergamot "helps open pathways in the mind and brain to access higher realms of consciousness."
- Cedarwood is a wonderful oil for both grounding your energy, and clearing negativity. Kynes writes that cedarwood also supports growth and renewal.
- Geranium helps to promote harmony and happiness. According to Kynes, it is also "about the self, growth, creativity, and gaining control of life." Additionally, Lembo writes that geranium is helpful to "rebalance yourself while you are experiencing hormonal havoc."
- Myrtle "aids in finding peace by releasing emotions," writes Kynes. It should be noted, though, that it is also "strongly associated with... sexual passion," so if you've got that loving feeling on this full moon, myrtle might be a nice addition to any blend. Additionally, she advises that it should be used to "bolster energy for creative projects and anything that fosters personal growth," that myrtle "is associated with cycles and prosperity," and that it "provides strength when defining your true purpose in life."
- Palmarosa is another great choice for tonight's full moon and eclipse energy as it encourages personal growth; aids in finding one's purpose and overcoming problems; and helps to ground and center energy. Lembo identifies the "key vibration" of palmarosa as "Go with the flow."
- Ylang ylang "relaxes the mind and relieves the internal dialogue that cycles through your consciousness," writes Lembo. "This oil helps you work through those feelings and relieve the pain of emotional blocks." It's also known as an aphrodisiac!
- Celery Seed is not included in the Water blend but would be another great oil to work with tonight if there is something you need to release or let go of. Lembo writes that it is especially helpful in overcoming feelings of insecurity or jealousy.
Spearmint and grapefruit also star in the Water synergy, giving it an extra bump of pep and joyfulness which are always so welcome.
Whatever your Super Blood Wolf Moon evening holds for you, we hope it's calm, restorative and clear (in both mental clarity and the skies being clear of clouds!).